Followership
We think, read, and practice a lot about leadership. It's an attribute worth pursuing. But to borrow a phrase, if one turns around and no one is following, then all you're doing is going for a walk.
Followership is the capacity and willingness to work under someone. Not in just a passive obedient way like sheep. Not in just being a yes man way without thinking. Not in an alienated way with lots of criticism. Followership takes reliability and commitment, action and engagement. It takes humility and a teachable spirit. A follower becomes a reflection of whom they are following.
After BJ moved our 6R dozer home, I leveled off some ditch cleaning dirt that the DOT had brought and dumped on some poor reclaimed coalmine spots. August has just enough time to squeeze in some odd jobs.
My followership title this morning came from a conversation Jan and I had with our friend Tim, in Indiana. We attended Becknology Days in Atlanta after being asked to be part of a meet and greet the evening before with some invited guests including USDA, EPA, and Washington DC staffers, all who are part of farm policy but lack experience in an actual corn or bean field. Thanks for the invite Randy. Thanks for organizing the event Kayla.
Jim and BJ got down the old hand crank corn sheller. We use it to shell corn off the cob and check moisture to see how close a field is to harvesting.
We also use a tool called a wood moisture meter. I carry it this time of year like a writing pen. It will test grain in the field without even shucking the ear. We are gearing up, getting ready, and hope to start harvesting in about a week.
I hadn't attended an in-person farm consignment auction since my father used to have one at the Oskaloosa salebarn 10 years ago. These auctions are a collection of history. Of mostly older machinery farm families don't use much any more. So on a damp slower yesterday with no grandkid help, I drove to the Knoxville Livestock yard. I "followed" the auctioneer pickup listening to the sing-song prices. I visited with friends and strangers. And I watched one man's junk become another's treasure.
My favorite history story of yesterday. 50 years ago Mark's landlord's father bought this 8-18 bottom land on hitch plow brand new. He took it home southwest of Oskaloosa and hooked it up once to his IHC 4166, a 150hp 4WD tractor. The tractor didn't have enough power to pull it. The farmer parked this plow in his grove and never hooked it up again. The used once plow sold yesterday. The only bid of $500 bought it.
Early last Sunday morning after writing our visit, I went for a Ranger ride on a brand new not yet opened highway, taking pictures and enjoying the aloneness. I came across a neighbor who was also on the new highway walking. We visited. I guess I'm not as big on aloneness as I thought.
In Matthew 20: 25-27 Jesus says, "You know that rulers and officials flaunt their authority over those under them. Not so with you. Whoever wants to be a leader among you must be a servant, and whoever wants to be first must become a slave". A leaders influence starts with following well.










Comments