Sunday, July 19, 2026

A Place In Time

When I was ten years old my Dad would put the stock racks up on our farm truck, load some new straw, a 4-H box, a wheel barrow, three club calves, and we would head for the fair. After unloading, scooping out the straw, covering the stock racks with an old canvas tarp, we would park along the west fence, and that would be my home for the fair week. Later in the summer, Dad would put 2x12s across the top of the stock racks, we would park in Greenveiw, and watch Wednesday night races from across the street of corners 3 and 4.


Today most livestock comes to the fair in 5th-wheel trailers. The camping area is full of campers for the week's stay, and Jan and I give all 4-H and FFA kids free tickets on fair week to those same Wednesday night races. Kurt brings our grill and cooks with the Sheriffs Dept.

Today several of our grandkids are involved. Some with livestock. Some helping the fairboard set up the track for a Saturday night Redneck Rally. Some racing. And these young men helping Grandpa bring the Hybrid to the classic machinery section. We all have a purpose and place in time.

We had two extracurricular activities this past week. One was Becks Seed Summer Camp in Minneapolis. One evening we enjoyed supper at U.S. Bank Stadium. In one of the activities Karl kicked a field goal.

Last week we mentioned Church Camporee in Alberta, Canada. Well, the attendees luggage made it, thanks to Kurt and Karl's rig, and Dean and Matt at the wheel. Thanks for the picture.

Although we don't hear much, we do see pictures on social media. This is Jackson braiding a rope. There was a picture of Malaki playing football. Harris attended as well. This morning will be an awesome worship service. Wish I was there. Thanks for the picture.

Last evening Jan and I decided to use a year old gift certificate and go out to eat. It was fun to see this crew with their parents also eating out. We are so blessed. Thanks for the picture.

We are ending an era. After 17 years of sharing our Stillwaters Cabin to friends and community here on our farm yard 60 to 80 times/year, we are moving out tables and chairs, doing a little remodeling, and Jan and I will be moving across the yard there soon. Jan has two goals in this process. She wants to simplify life. And she wants to go through "stuff" while she still has the health and ability to drive the unnecessary things to the Thrift Store and Love Inc. I also have two goals in moving. I want to continue to live with my wife of 51 years. And I want to "hang on loosely" to temporary things on earth.

We are now going to share our 10 year old home with married grandkids. Hoping to give them an opportunity to save up resources so they can own their own place someday soon. We all have "a place in time". I don't want to be remembered for winning cattle shows as a kid. I don't want to be remembered for owning acres and machinery in the prime of my life. I hope to finish strong while I'm still able. To honor God. And to share with and care about others. Have a good week.
"Now all glory to God, who is able to work within us, to accomplish way more than we might think or ask". Ephesians 3:20 paraphased













No comments: