A Surprising Verdict

It's interesting how life's path crosses the same intersection at different stages of our time down here on earth. For the last couple of months I have been on a jury pool that has to call in every week to see if there are any trials.
Two weeks ago we were called in and I was selected to serve as a juror for a day long trial. This past week we were again called in as a jury pool. The prosecuting and defense attorneys were to pick a jury for a week long trial. 
The defendant was a sitting county supervisor and the trial centered on whether or not his wife should be on a family health insurance plan. He was being accused of three crimes.
When selecting a jury the attorneys ask the folks in the jury pool specific questions to try an get an unbiased group of 12 individuals. I was asked about raising children, if they had boundaries, and if they ever crossed those boundaries.
I was also asked if we had twins and if we treated them both equally.
When asked about determining guilt or innocence in crossing boundaries I wanted to say we took into consideration whether or not the accuser had an agenda but didn't dare bring that up.
I was excused as a potential juror. The trial lasted all week. Although looking back I think the defendant would have done things differently. I do not think he was guilty of 1st degree theft beyond a reasonable doubt, his most serious of the three accusations. 
After a short deliberation on Friday the selected jury found the defendant guilty of all three accusations.
Deciding guilt or innocence is a tough job as a parent or a juror. I am not totally convinced the verdict was correct but admit I was not present during the testimony. I would like to thank Mr. and Mrs. Allsup of Oskynews.org for keeping me up to date throughout the trial. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Smell Of Tassels

Leave The Rest To Him

A Lasting Impact