Sunday, December 24, 2023

Let's Go See

It was Christmas candlelight service 1974. Friends were asking to see Jan's Christmas gift from me, an engagement ring. We had a March wedding planned. My folks were not in favor of their 18 year old son getting married. I had graduated from high school in May. I had bought this IHC 856 with an FHA loan and had harvested my first crop. Folks advised that teen-aged marriages often don't last. They said, "You can't live on love". We said, "Let's go see".

What prompted this story in my memory? Well BJ had a wagon load of corn he wanted to grainbank in town at Ozinga Feed. So Thursday I took it for him. It had probably been 30 years since I'd brought a load of corn to town on a tractor without a cab. This trip got me thinking about those early years when I would drive all over the county doing custom work for Farm Service with that first IHC 856. Doing field work for others was my plan to support and provide for a wife.
You see, I was like the rabbit on the right. I wanted folks to see that success was on the horizon in our farming operation. Then in the 1980s came 20% interest, a farm crisis, Jan's back surgery, and a bank that thought I was a liability. I always knew that baby in the manger came to pay for my sins. And I had accepted Him as my Savior for heaven's sake. But at 29 years old I got on my knees next to the tractor tire in the picture above, in the middle of the night, and told Him I needed help here on earth. God had to teach me success is not always what you see.
We had our family Christmas Friday evening. What a blessing to not just know these young energetic kiddos, but to be part of their lives. Next year our family looks forward to a wedding in April, a wedding in August, and a new addition in June.
For Friday evening devotions I used David's words from Psalms 16: "Lord, you alone are my portion. You have made my destiny secure. The lines have fallen for me in pleasant places. Surely I have a delightful inheritance". Folks, Jan and I didn't have a plan when we got engaged Christmas/1974. But God had one for us. It was and still is undeserved grace. Just like that rabbit on the left in the pic above, God showed me it's not always what we can see, but often what we can't see. That's the definition of faith. Thanks for taking the picture Linda. 
When it was announced Keith and Kristin Getty were going to be in Iowa on Jan's birthday I decided to look into getting tickets. Thanks for helping me Glenda. Thanks for the picture Adam. It was a night of worship in Cedar Falls Monday evening.
The focus isn't on farming this morning. However I wanted to share this story. BJ, Mike, and crew tiled and dozed for Keith, Kurtis, and family a couple of weeks ago on the Else farm. Later Keith wanted to add an intake so he called his neighbor Bert and they accomplished their mission with Bert's outfit. Moral of this story. You can be in your late 70s and early 80s and still be productive. Thanks for the picture Keith.
We were working in the shop when our neighbor stopped by on Wednesday. He had built a grain bin with our name on it with a 3D printer. It took the printer 6 hrs to turn this out. The bin was full of Christmas goodies. Thanks Ron and Chris.
On that first Christmas there were shepherds keeping watch over their flocks at night. They were common farmers, maybe hired hands, with livestock. I'm guessing they had families. They had no idea a multitude of heavenly hosts would announce the birth of their Messiah to them personally. Most folks missed the event that night. The political and ruling class. Businesses, remember, no room in the inn. The church leaders even missed it.
Here's the important part. Those lowly shepherds/common farmers, said, "Lets go see" this thing that has been told to us. The star guided them to the manger in Bethlehem. Their hearts were softened and filled. And they worshiped. They returned to their flocks/farms telling everyone the things they had seen and heard, praising and glorifying God. 
Don't miss both messages this Christmas Eve. The first we hear often. Jesus came to save us from our sins if we accept this gift. That's the assurance of heaven. The second we don't hear as often. We are to return from this Christmas season to our farms/jobs telling others about this gift. And glorifying and praising God. That's worship. It's our secure destiny here on earth. May your hearts be softened, guided, and filled. The picture below was taken in November/2019 near Bethlehem. Merry Christmas.

 


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Merry Christmas and God's blessings for the New Year. From the Wieringa's

Anonymous said...

So many blessings!!