Sunday, April 24, 2022

Living Generational Stories

 A story is an account of events or experiences. It can be spoken. It can be written. The story can be words, images, or both. Stories bring facts and feelings to life. I'm sure most of you can remember stories from your parents and grandparents that have been passed down from generation to generation.

These brothers' great-great-grandfather was an only child in Holland. Cornelius helped his father sell eggs and vegetables. He was scheduled to go to court for kicking a dog. He came to America instead. Cornelius got married and had 9 boys. 2 of those boys, Bill and John, ended up in Iowa while the remaining 7 stayed in the southern Illinois and northern Indiana area.

There's listening to stories. There's telling stories. And there's living stories by being part of other's lives and helping make memories. This week we are going to focus more on people and places. The past week in southern Iowa has been wet for the most part. Yesterday morning Jan brought out breakfast to the office for over a dozen of us from three generations who were listening to, telling, and living generational stories.
 I am blessed and love to work with and play with grandkids on a regular basis. Monday noon has started to become a tradition of Grandpa watching these little people climb up a ladder to a storeroom above our garage to play while Jan puts down the really little people for their afternoon naps.
One thing I'm not very good at is taking the time for Grandparents Day at school. No excuses. I did attend chapel and sat with Rachel and John during Grandparents Day at Pella Christian High School. Below is coffee-time in the cafeteria.
During that chapel Harlan talked about the history of our Christian schools and God's faithfulness. I realize many of you are involved in public schools. I changed schools five times and attended both. I realize some of you either were or are home schooling. The thing our country needs to be reminded of today is that no matter what school, what our kids learn is a parent's, and not a school or the governments responsibility.
Having said that I do believe we as a culture have less of a passion for what our children and grandchildren are learning. Investing in our next generations is a sacrifice, both financial and time. However I can't think of a better return on investment. It's living generational stories.
By the way, do you remember the playground equipment many of us older folks played on during recess. 😊 The monkey bars was where you first played with girls that weren't family. Broken arms and collarbones were not uncommon. Back then a swing set was the real deal, and attached to the ground with cement so it wouldn't jump when you tried to swing higher than the top bar, and then jump. Teachers would even push us so we could get higher. The merry-go-round did not have automatic brakes like today, and we would try and push fast enough to have friends fly off. Teeter-totters were for jumping off and making your friend land hard on their tailbone. And finally standing in line for the slide which consisted of a tall ladder, sharp objects, a fast ride down, and a hard landing. We won't even get into tackle-tackle-tumble-head, pom-pom-pola-way, or red rover-red rover-send Billy right over.
At school chapel Harland also talked about the current Christian High School campus along the 4-lane in Pella. 16 years ago tomorrow the picture below was taken. At that time I was asked to chair the construction committee and am the second person from the right. Our family dozer is in the background. It was a rainy Tuesday afternoon. The only thing on the 43 acre site was a tent. After the groundbreaking festivities, and everyone left, I came back to the site to pray for guidance because I felt inadequate. While there by myself a car pulled up. It was my Aunt Dorothy, a widow from Pella II. I invited her to join me in my pickup, and we prayed together for the future of Pella Christian High and it's new location. A story of generational living.

Our family spent four years donating time, equipment, and diesel, helping build this facility. A dozen years or more I started writing chapters for a book to my grandchildren. I never finished the book. However I'd like to share the last paragraph of chapter 10 that is my heart for my grandkids.

"I wrote this story for my grandchildren to read someday. There are four reasons I hope they read it. First dates and names are puzzle pieces that create the big picture. Second, I want them to know their grandfather had a passion for Christian education. I want that passion to be contagious and passed on to the next generations. Third, I want them to know that Christian education is more than a curious custom. It's a faithful response. Finally, I want my grandchildren to experience the joy of giving by being generous. Nothing is more satisfying than working with others for a common cause that gives God the credit."

 Boy, too many words! I'll try and speed this story up before I lose you all. Friday evening was Prom night. Gideon asked if he could bring Emily to the Prom in a tractor. So Friday morning in the rain he and Noah unhooked the high speed disc at Kurt's house.
After washing it at a friends house, he and Emily made memories by driving it to school.
These are Gideon, Rachel, Amelia, Marina, and their dates to their Junior Senior Prom.
We farmed Monday night, Tuesday, and Tuesday night. It started raining again on Wednesday morning. Below Jim, John, and Alex are loading seed into tenders to take to the field. We ran both corn and bean planters.
Kudos to Marina, a foreign exchange student from Brazil who is living with Mark and Stacy's family, for playing the piano for the prelude for our Sunrise Easter service. It's been a joy to have Marina part of our family this year.
Yesterday Ezra and Elijah came to help. Since it was wet they did odd jobs. Below they are trying to get a push mower started for Mike.
I guess not all stories are spoken or written. We are being watched by others. In our work. How we treat folks in business. In our families. In our faith walk. Do we just believe? Or do we live what we believe?
Yes, there is listening to stories. There is telling stories. And there is living stories. Kudos to you all for being part of this generational living. When our last chapters have been written, and our books (lives) have been closed here on earth, what will our story have been about? A good book starts with a purpose, keeps the attention of others, and finishes strong. My prayer is that at the end of your story you will hear, "Well done, good and faithful servant. Welcome to the place (Heaven) I have prepared for you". Remember, it's not about counting good deeds and hoping there is enough. It's about accepting the gift we talked about last week. Blessings.

 

No comments: