Sunday, February 1, 2015

Our Calling

Jackson says, "Hey Harris, what are you going to be when you grow up?"
Back in the old days when I was a kid my Grandma Tena used to tell me she sure hoped I would be called to the ministry some day. I used to think to myself I sure hope I don't get a call because I wanted to farm.
What I didn't realize back then is that God calls us all to minister. Even farmers.
And occasionally ministers get a call to help farm. Brian is helping Karl in the hog shed.
This is the C team tiling. The A and B teams are busy elsewhere. Brian and Becky needed a mudhole dried up south of their barn.
Yep. We found the mudhole. Their kids and the neighbor kids all helped.
Our Zieglar Cat salesman took our crew out for lunch this past week.
We stopped at JD to visit about our planter inspection and ask about Dean. Dean has been a mechanic for over 30 years and is a friend that was injured working on a planter. We are praying that you to have a full recovery Dean. 
Rick visited this week. We asked if he was feeling called to run for president. Mark told him to continue to be the standard for the moral values our country was built on because that will keep social issues on the table and keep the other candidates accountable.
Rick was in town for an interview with Brett at Smokey Row.
Both these men are friends and both are using their God given abilities to make a difference.
A task force facilitated by Dr. Bob met this past week. Their job description is to find ways to keep Christian education vital and effective in southeastern Iowa. This meeting prompted me to think about our calling.
God promises us through baptism He will help us in our most important calling of raising children. 
We in turn promise God we will instruct our kids about Him.
Raising kids is the most wonderful yet hardest job a person does. I was inadequate on my own and thank God for His help and a wonderful spouse.
These are active and energetic grandkids. One of things God promised back at baptism was that He would be faithful in His help to the third and fourth generation if we would be faithful in our calling to Him.   
At the end of the day whether your calling is preaching, farming, mechanicing, educating, politics,  or raising kids, do it with all your might for His credit, knowing that God promises to help you.
 

No comments: