Sunday, November 5, 2023

Life By The Inch

I'm sure you've heard the saying, "Life by the yard is hard, but life by the inch is a cinch". I've never considered myself an inch by inch guy. But I'm learning there's value there at times. Below Grandsons John and Ethan work together at taking John's crop out an inch at a time after school with our grandkid combine, the Ford TW 20, the little Kinze 400, and the old 87 semi and Mark's trailer. Thanks for the picture John.

Harvest continues with our main crew an inch at a time. We're down to two farms left. We're thankful the custom harvest for others is finished. We're thankful for the yield. We're thankful for the price which was sold months ago. We're thankful for the weather. I'm thankful for a wonderful crew to work with.
The processor we contract our corn with produces corn syrup, ethanol, citric acid, vitamin D, DDGs in feed, and is expanding to plastics and spandex. All from a kernel of corn. That's food, feed, fuel, clothes, and household products. And we as area farmers can certainly grow enough corn to supply their needs. The problem is they have only been open for accepting corn 8 or 9 half days in the last three weeks during harvest.
As a family and an operation we have grown to become dependent on them to deliver corn with semis straight out of the field for over 20 years. They have bought 38 of  our 50 corn crops. I've never been a big bin storage guy. I feel harvest delivery disciplines us to market ahead of the crop.
Other farmers with great crops are also moving corn to the processor as well since their bins and many elevators are full. So a number of us have gotten up really early to get in line for the few hours they are open. Thanks for the picture Andy.
One morning while sitting in line 3 hrs ahead of opening Andy shared his devotions with me. Good advice. I've always been an early morning guy.
Andy and Amara's farm logo is 2AM. It has two meanings. Both of them and the initials of their names. And Andy has always been an early riser as well going clear back to his hog choring days before his regular job. Thanks for helping us and your friendship Andy. 
I have always believed a business needed a logo and a platform. A logo that has a story. And a platform that tells that story.
We have started other fall work including NH3 application for the crop next year. Thanks Jim and Caleb for all your help on our toolbar.
A big thank you to Big John, Amanda, and family who brought us Thanksgiving meals Thursday evening from their churches Thanksgiving supper. When our kids were little landlords Daryl and Rosie would always treat us and take our family with them to this same supper.
Yea. Kristin and Tatum were able to come home from Des Moines hospital this past Wednesday. I'm sure it feels good to be a family at home again. Thanks for all of you that prayed for health and recovery. Thanks for the picture.
Last Sunday afternoon Jan and I went north to Sioux Center for a Monday Dordt University Ag Advisory meeting. We discussed their partnership with AgriVision John Deere on a two year service tech program.
On Monday noon at President Eric and Barb's house, we had lunch with Gary, who leads the Dordt Ag program, and some great Ag students.
Earlier on Sunday evening Jan and I went out for supper with Grandson Cody and his two roommates, Josh and Adam who also play football for Dordt. The Dordt football team had a great win yesterday beating Morningside for the first time. Adam recovered a blocked punt and took it in for a touchdown. Thanks for the picture Cody.
There are good traditions and worthless ones. By the way, did you know traditions are just peer pressure from dead people. I think that might be a Mark Twain quote. As I look back over 50 crops, there has been so much change the past is hardly recognizable. But life didn't change by the mile, or even the yard, but an inch at a time.  Below is our place 50 years ago.

Our personal lives are the same way. Jan didn't learn to cook overnight. She enjoyed it as a young girl an inch at a time. And today she's teaching her grandkids how to make the best macaroni and cheese. Thanks for the picture Jan.

My life started as sort of a socially awkward kid. I had a one track mind wanting to farm. After we got married I put hard work as my #1 goal. I wanted folks to think I was successful. I fought pride and still do. God used the 1980s farming crisis to correct some of that. And slowly, God, through life experiences, including slow harvests, is making me into what He, not me, wants me to be, an inch at a time. God first of all wants me to be faithful. To Him. To family. To my friends. And finally my farming. Thanks for stopping by this morning.





2 comments:

Kathy WIERINGA said...

Love reading your weekly blog! That was quite a game last Saturday! I watched it on my smart TV and listened to Mike Byker do the play by play. The TV is a little delayed; so I had to make sure I watched it when I heard Tyler's name mentioned and when Mike got so excited with the touchdowns! First time in the history of Dordt football to beat Morningside! The next football game against Dakota Weslyan will be a hard fought game as well. Thank you for your Biblical insights, as well. Being farmers ourselves, it is always interesting to hear and see how different areas are doing!

Anonymous said...

Thanks Kathy