Sunday, June 20, 2021

Fathers...Surviving Or Thriving

 A week ago last Friday Jan and I attended Risefest in Sheldon, Iowa. Risefest is a family-friendly musical festival where Christian music groups come for a weekend of outdoor concerts. Thanks to friends we stayed at Dordt University alumni house in Sioux Center for accommodations.

One of my favorite groups was Casting Crowns. And one of my favorite songs has the words, "It's time for us to more than just survive. We were made to Thrive".

Last week Kurt had backed his sprayer up to the shop after spraying 2nd pass soybeans up north. We were hearing meowing noises deep in the underside of his rig so Kurt lowered the bottom access doors and we found a litter of kittens. Apparently the Momma cat had moved her brood in the sprayer the previous week while it was sitting in the shop. The kittens had been on a three county tour for a number of days.
BJ and Cassia's John was raking hay when his IHC 1486 front wheel hit a hole. BJ got it loaded and hauled it home on the tail of our equipment trailer. I'm sure if it hadn't been at night fellow travelers would have been trying to flag him down to let him know he was losing his load.
Brothers Mike and Mark, along with Mark's sons Elijah and Anton spent much of the week cleaning out a drained pond. After cutting the center out of the dike they had two trackhoes, two dozers, and a skidloader to push the 12 feet of slop out the bottom. Thanks for the picture Mike.
I remember last summer showing you all a picture of our pathetic looking sweetcorn patch. Well, this year isn't any better. Remember a picture and a story several weeks ago about a two row planter and those old steel planter plates? I would call this equipment and driver error. I'm guessing our seed size didn't match the old planter plate size.
When in Rice Lake, Wisconsin a couple of weeks ago I met a pastor from the Phoenix, Arizona area. In a recent message Dr. Samson said that blessing is found in the pursuit of serving. Fathers (and Grandfathers) often find unexpected blessings while serving their families. Serving starts with surrender. Guys aren't always so fond of surrendering. 
Kurt and Emily's seven year old Jackson was helping me last Tuesday. After we brought his cousins Elijah and Ezra home Jackson asked if he could mow the Pella yard. Well, Jim had just mowed it. It was dry and not growing. But we had time and it's summer time ( a little slower) so I figured why not. Seventeen year old grandkids aren't quite as apt any more to hang out with Grandpa than seven year olds. So I picked up sticks while Jackson mowed the yard. Jackson was thriving. Come to think about it, so was Grandpa. 
Speaking of dry, we've had a number of weeks with little or no rain in many parts of Iowa. And the drought monitor is showing it. This past Friday evening thunderstorms crossed over the southern corner of our crops. It started raining lightly shortly after 4 am this morning and as I am writing I am enjoying experiencing a Sunday morning shower. I pray it's more widespread today. In this farming occupation we are totally dependent on our Heavenly Father providing. This is Jan and my 47th crop and God has been faithful in so many ways. Thanks for the picture Pat.
We had Arizona like air this past week with humidity down in the 20s in our afternoons. While our row crops complained it was a great week for haying. BJ's oat hay was down to 11% moisture, not often possible in Iowa.
Many times I've shared stories with you about our grandsons helping. Well we also have 8 granddaughters and they are just as special. Yesterday Adi and Natalie helped me with a number of jobs both farming and cleaning.
Jan told me I was in charge of how we celebrated Father's Day weekend. So Friday I called my sister Donna and asked if she and Roger were available to go out for supper at the Longhorn in Barns City. When they agreed I called Ginger and asked if she and my brother Doug could make it. Brother Bill is in Florida for Andrew and Tennessee's wedding. And my youngest sister Beth lives in Colorado.
This is the first Father's Day my siblings and I are without our father as he died the Sunday after Thanksgiving last year. I will always be grateful for being raised by a father that loved his Lord. I am grateful for having the privilege of being a father to our 6 children.  And I'm grateful for experiencing our 5 sons and 1 son-in-law be Christian fathers and faithful husbands to their families. As I said last week God's plans were much bigger than my dreams.
We talked earlier about Joshua leading the people of Israel. Then they wanted a king to take care of them like other countries. Not sure that was such a great idea. David and Bathsheba's second son Solomon was the 3rd king. We pick up the story in I Kings 9 where God talks to Solomon and makes a promise. God says if he follows with Godliness and integrity that he and his children and grandchildren will thrive.
I'm not sure how many kids Solomon had. But with 700 wives and 300 concubines I'm guessing he had the potential of more than he could be a good father to. His son Rehoboam was the 4th king and things went downhill fast from there and never recovered. In Ecclesiastes 6 Solomon writes that a man could have a hundred children but if he finds no satisfaction in life it would be better to be born dead. Pretty strong. As a father one doesn't find satisfaction in life by just surviving.
 Friday evening we had golfball size hail southeast of Pella. Karl and Kristin's vehicles and many others at the Howell Station Campground were hammered. Thanks for the picture Karl or Kristin.
Solomon was a leader that prayed. The only way we as fathers can thrive is if we ask God for help. Fathers, make time to talk to God. Not just as an individual. But as an example.
As a leader Thanks for praying at our meeting before lunch Harold.
How does a father not just survive but thrive. I think our Heavenly Father pretty well spelled it out to Solomon in His promise to him 3000 years ago that still applies today. Surrender. Reliance. Obedience. Gratitude. And service.
America has thrived. We have been the beacon of hope and freedom around the world. However our freedoms are under attack from within. If our countries leaders don't follow these guidelines, we will go from thriving, to surviving, to ..... Thanks for the picture Karl.

Based on my experiences I think fathers (mothers as well but in a different way) need to be resilient. What's resilient? The ability to recover quickly from difficulties. Fathers of young kids as well as grown children need to be a "rock" to hang on to. The "oil" to smooth things over. A "resource" to assist in opportunities. And a "well done" as an encourager.
We have heard so much in the past year and a half about surviving. We were made for so much more than that. Let's thrive.
 




No comments: