Sunday, May 28, 2017

Life After Books

Well. School is out. And for this good looking bunch high school's been out for 43 years. My classmates got together last evening thanks to Peggy, Leann, Karen, and Bryce. Thanks to Jan for preparing the meal.
We were a rather non conforming class back in the 1970s. So it seemed appropriate that we would get together on a year that didn't end in a five.  I joined this group at Pella Christian High as a Junior. Our class's "claim to fame" was being sent home from our class trip a little early.
It was fun last evening watching folks walk up to the cabin and putting a name to a face more than 40 years later. Some hadn't changed a lick. A few I didn't recognize. Around 45 of the 70 some classmates attended. I think we have had 3 classmates pass away. 
Our grandkids are out of school as well. As a grandpa I know I'm getting older when I watch Ethan and Gideon clean out the inside of their trucks.
 Since Ethan's 8th grade graduation he has been helping his dad build a big pond running a track hoe digging the core. 
 Cody is also working along side his dad after 8th grade pushing clay into the core so the pond won't leak.
Harris, Jackson, and Malaki haven't been to school yet however they are busy learning. Grandpa told them they were to fill the office fridge with water bottles.
 Friday evening Kurt and Emily had an outdoor get together with friends. Jan and I crashed their party coming over for a visit on our Ranger. Below Jackson is showing his friend Raegan how he can sit on a tractor and pretend to help his dad. 
 Kurt and Karl have been spraying rowed corn with two outfits. The crop looks good. Jim, Pablo, and Andy, have been tendering (bringing product) to the sprayers.
 The dry spreader is right behind the sprayers adding extra nitrogen to the young crop. Alex has spread the lying share of treated urea while BJ and I have been tendering him.
 The extra urea added to the crop doesn't kick in until it has been activated by a rain. It is encapsulated and treated with a coating to help it stay effective while waiting for that rain. Our weather forecast last week was calling for 6 to 10 dry days so I had Casey mow my hay. Well, we had an unexpected perfect 1/2 inch of rain Friday morning incorporating and activating our nitrogen.
 It doesn't take a school classroom to learn a lot on rainy days in our office. I enjoy listening to the kids talk about their week.
 A lot has changed in 43 years. I have visited with you before about dreaming about farming with a IH 1456 during my high school years, the largest tractor IH built back in the day. Today tractors are 2 to 4 times bigger than that 1970s model.
When the class of 1974 graduated we had no idea about our futures. I told my class last evening I have learned way more since sitting at those desks with books. Much of what I've learned comes from relationships including the good folks I went to school with, family, and my occupation.
 Have there been cloudy days? Of course. That won't change as long as we're living on earth. I've had classmates lose children and grandchildren. Relationships aren't always the way we plan. Sometimes occupations go in a different direction than we thought.
 However I think the vast majority of our class would tell you that the God we were taught to serve has been faithful. We had no clue about our future, but He did. And He is in charge of all of your futures whether you believe it or not. Our responsibility is to share that good news. Can our children see God is in charge of our lives? Have we passed along stories to our grandchildren letting them know His faithfulness not just in our lives but the future they can look forward to as well? Thanks class for the memories and friendships.

No comments: