Sunday, May 8, 2016

Love In Action

Good morning. This past Thursday 25 kindergarteners and first graders from Joshua Christian Academy in East Des Moines came over for a farm visit and pizza. We had a great time. Notice the little guy on the right has my hat on.
Olivia, Ki, and Ben brought over a steer, a pig, and a couple of chickens. Stacy also had a couple of chickens along. Brad, Linda, Mark, BJ, and Kristin brought over their Rangers to help with rides around the farm. Jan gave them a little care package with some fruit roll-ups and a little tractor. They were very excited and I'm sure most of them fell asleep on their trip back to Des Moines.
Jan, myself, and my parents made a quick trip to Georgia early in the week. Mom is an executer for my aunt's estate and had some papers to sign. This was our third trip together. I enjoy driving through the mountains in Tennessee. I also enjoy spending time with my parents. 
Wow. What a lot of soybeans went in the ground this week. We went from an full seed shed to an empty one. We treat most of the seed that goes out the door for disease and bugs.
It was time to get the second batch of sweet corn in yesterday. Thanks to Karl for hauling pig honey on the patch last fall and taking the trouble and time to spray it for weeds this past week.
We held off planting soybeans on a farm across from Karl and Kristin's house so Mike and BJ could tile and build terraces on it.
Yesterday Mike called and asked Jan and I to come look at a plan he had laid out for a possible pond. It looked good and we told him to go for it. It will probably take about two weeks to build.
We live in a different age of communication and I enjoy snap chats from my kids. A snap chat is when you take a pic with your phone and it goes to who you send it to and only lasts about 10 seconds after you open it. Although face to face visits are still the best snap chats allow you to keep up with what's happening. Kind of an instant, brief, story. Whether we want to admit it or not we are a society that still likes to tell and listen to stories, just in a different way than the old days.
Alex has been in charge of planting soybeans and has been doing a great job. Last night I brought him soybeans to a farm we call the Ponderosa. The Ponderosa is in Union Mills and is owned by a retired school superintendent who we custom farm for. This farm always brings back good memories because I lived here for two years when I was about ten years old. My sister and I went to grade school in Barns City and this farm along the North Skunk River is where I started doing field work and chores. 
 My Mom is the definition of "love in action". She has spent all of her life helping others and is selfless, generous, and loving. Yesterday was her and Dad's anniversary. Today is Mother's Day. And Tuesday is her birthday. Happy Anniversary, Mother's Day, and Birthday Mom. You have had all your special days thrown together all your life.
We brought home some more pictures from Georgia. This is a pic of my grandparents with their eight children. My Mom is in the front, left. Four of my Mom's siblings have passed away plus of course her parents. Grandpa and all my Uncles were auto mechanics.
Telling someone you love them is important but doesn't hold much water if you don't show it. So before I started this visit with you I headed into town very early this morning to get Jan a card and a gift. Happy Mother's Day Jan. You have been a great Mom and a wonderful wife. 
I had the whole road and town to myself, I thought. Low and behold when I got to Wal-Mart there was Karl doing the same thing. He sprayed really late last night and Kristin and Malaki showed him "love in action" by bringing him supper to the field and riding with him in the sprayer.
 

No comments: