Sunday, December 1, 2013

Thanksgiving - An Action

As the sun came up this past Thursday morning it promised to be a truly gorgeous Thanksgiving Day. Holidays always feel like Sundays so it felt funny to go out and run dozer first thing.
 We do have a church service on Thanksgiving morning. Folks emailed in pictures of what they were thankful for and those were shown on the screens before church. Good job of putting that together Kristin. I also love music and enjoyed the praise team.
Jan likes to go out and collect fall and winter greenery and decorations and put them together in an arrangement.
 John and Gideon are attempting to restack some firewood. They had it all neatly stacked the day before and it fell over.
 There was too much frost to do fieldwork this week but the dozers are going strong. Below the boys are building terraces for Joel who is also helping with his dozer.
 BJ is also busy tiling. He says after the first foot it is still dry as a bone.
Thanksgiving is generational as we celebrate our blessings and our family was blessed to have four generations getting together.
The guys were planning on target practicing in the afternoon.
However Jan said I was hoping you guys would help me put up Christmas lights first.
Someone thought maybe Jan got that idea from Miss Kay on an episode of Duck Dynasty when she told her boys they couldn't go hunting until they helped her.
The gals helped Jan get decorations up on the inside of the cabin while the guys were working outside.
So often we take for granted what we are thankful for. Thanksgiving helps us slow down, count our blessings, and share with others what we are thankful for. Finally it's not just what we say about our blessings but how we use them that is the true measure of our thanksgiving.
We know we can ask God for help when bad things happen. We need to remember to tell Him thank you when good things happen and not just privately by ourselves but also together as family and community. Saying thank you is an action we have a responsibility as parents to pass along to the next generations.
I'm a little late posting this morning. I just added this picture. I got up to do my blog this morning and had no internet. No internet, no blog. I did what I usually do when I'm clueless. I replugged it in. Nothing. I pounded on it. Nothing. As I was standing there wondering what to do I prayed, "I know this is minor details in the big scheme of life God but I was wondering if you could help me". I don't deserve His help. I replugged and pounded again and all the green lights came on. Many folks think these little things are just a coincident. I don't. I was so happy it started working and as I hurried off to write this blog I just about forgot to say Thank you.
Have a good week and don't forget to say Thank you.

No comments: