Sunday, December 17, 2017

The Gift

Last Sunday we went to Brian and Beckys for lunch and celebrated Hazel's first birthday. After lunch her four brothers helped open her gift. 
I remember a Christmas forty some years ago when I was dating Jan and was invited to her family's Christmas. I wanted her parents to like me so I spent most of my checking account back then on a pair of insulated coveralls for her father. I'll never forget how I felt when Papa Gene opened the gift and said, "Did I open the wrong package? I don't wear these." Jan's mom graciously received the gift, thanked me for them, and wore them for years after that Christmas. Francis, my mother-in-law, passed away 25 years ago this past week. When you receive a wrong gift this week remember it's not so much the gift as it is the importance of the folks that love you and are trying to show it.
Monday evening Jan and I took several grandkids to the Osky theater to see "The Star". It's an animated picture about the gift of Christmas as seen and told through the eyes of the animals.
Jan does an awesome job of Christmas gift shopping and handles all of that responsibility. I'm often at a loss as what to get Jan for her birthday which is tomorrow and Christmas just a week later. For the last number of years Kristin has offered and helped me. Earlier this year I asked her if she had a need for any new machinery in her sewing room. Of course she said she was fine. She mentioned something about a Babylock Triumph surger would be helpful however they were too expensive. I asked her if she would do some homework and she found a slightly used one so I asked her if she would just go buy her own gift this year.
What a week weather wise. I consider it a gift when you can work in the field in December. Karl and I worked some more yesterday at re-emptying hog pits.
It is much dryer than we realize and we have little moisture going into next years crop. My goal has been to prepare crop acres to be as ready as possible for next spring's planting to conserve the moisture we accumulate over the rest of the winter. It's starting to feel like we live in the western plains where they fallow ground to conserve moisture.
Mike is busy every day pushing dirt. He is building terraces for Scot, a landlord of BJ, just south of where we live.
Mark has also had a good fall excavating and dozing. He stopped Friday and cleaned a waterway for me.
It didn't take him very long at all and he even burned the tree pile. It's fun to improve farms and I can't wait to get some terraces built in this waterway.
It's been a good fall to tile other than digging hard because of the dry ground. BJ, Gideon, and Andy put in a main yesterday starting with a 10" tile and finishing with a 4". They had to go under a gas line in the field. That's always tricky. 
Matt helped me manufacture some arms for Jan's snowman. He is now welcoming guests that use our cabin for their Christmas get-togethers.
The longer it stays nice the more acres I prepare for corn next spring. I enjoy growing corn on corn and consider it a challenge to get the yield equal to corn following soybeans. Marketing opportunities are limited for the 2018 crop however we have already been working on some narrow profit margins for the 2019 crop.
God loves us more than we know. He sent us His gift those many years ago that we are celebrating this coming week. Have you received His gift?
As you go to Christmas programs today, watch the children sing, and remember the real meaning of Christmas, remember how much your Heavenly Father loves you and remember to tell Him thank you for His gift, His love, and His help. 

As you go to get-togethers this week, exchange gifts, and spend time with family, remember the folks that are giving you gifts love you. We sometimes don't get it right down here on earth however receive folk's gifts with grace. And receive their love with gratitude. Have a great week.



 

No comments: