Sunday, August 20, 2017

Prepare For Something Better

I learned a new word last evening. Our smaller granddaughters were excitingly telling me about a new toy they saw at Walmart called a Hatchimal. The girls said you buy this egg, warm it up with your hands, and it hatches into a small fury robot toy that you take care of and is your friend. I showed them this baby mouse on the shop floor and told them they didn't need Walmart. They could have him for free. :)
However they insisted they needed $5.00 to buy this new friend. Natalie asked me if I had any money in my billfold. I had 3 choices. I could laugh and tell them it was a waste of money. I could get my billfold out and hope there were three $5 bills in it. Or I could take them to the shop and put them to work.
We all left our supper of KFC at the fire pit and came to the shop. I had them stay in the office while I backed out the machinery. And we spent the next hour sweeping the floor. Fortunately they have understanding parents. Fortunately I had three $5 bills. They continue to learn you have to work for something worthwhile. And I have a clean shop floor. 
Yesterday morning by the sweet corn patch I noticed the cracks in the grass the planter openers left when we planted this spring and I could even see the seed it dropped! We haven't had a rain event here large enough to close the furrows. We have been watering sweet corn since July and are on our last batch.
We have some hog shed pits north of Pella that are near full. We hope to help that out next week on some corn acres that have been chopped for silage.
We have been getting equipment out and going over them, washing, greasing, and repairing, preparing for harvest.
In the parts of the counties where it hasn't rained much this summer combining corn is only about 10 days away.
The PC football team went to Grinnell Friday evening for a practice game. Mike helps coach and Cody is on the 9th grade team. They are preparing and hoping for a successful season.
I missed out on an annual event. The PC volleyball girls come every year for a retreat to kick off their season. Part of that visit includes Ranger rides and a picture on the old railroad bridge on the back of our farm. Thanks to my help for sharing their Rangers. Thanks Brian for helping out with the rides. I heard the girls even asked for stories, a tradition. And thanks Kim for coordinating and giving of your time, energy, and heart, in not only preparing the girls for their season, but also for life.
Mike finished a large job down south, moved home, and helped me clean up and improve a waterway. I'm not "over the hill" however at my age I'm certainly on the back side. My goal is to leave things better than I found them as I prepare ground for my kids and grandkids.
This is BJ and Cassia's new basement. We are hoping the footings and walls get poured this coming week as they continue to prepare to replace their home lost in a fire in late April.
Jan continues to work on salsa, tomato soup, pickles, sweet corn, peaches, and soon apples. Yesterday she had me help take the canning rings off the jars of peaches. I accidently pulled the whole lid off the first jar so she made a batch of peach pie bars. If you see the corner has been snooped on I of course had to make sure they were eatable for company last evening. They were delicious. I also delivered a plate full to friends.
Times are changing. I bet you have heard that before. Even in agriculture. Maybe I should say especially in agriculture. Change is inevitable and you can either take it by the hand or it will take you by the throat. Our friend Dana, Kurt and Emily, Cassia and BJ, and myself went to St. Louis this past week. We met with business folks whose job is take a look at a families operation from a thousand foot view and then help explore, discern, envision, decide, and communicate in a changing world. Thanks for meeting with us Mike and Valerie. Thanks for supper Dana. 
Albert Einstein is credited with saying "The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, but expecting different results". Chrysler and Ford Motor companies both had to take drastic action in a changing vehicle environment some years back and turned into something better.  It doesn't matter if it's business, church, or life, if you're in a rut with tunnel vision, the outcome will not be good. Below Jackson and Malaki are having Grandpa put tile tape around the back tires of their trike thinking maybe it will go faster. They must take after their Dad's :)
Elliott went with Jan and I to Colfax this past week. In order to stay competitive in a changing environment one needs to learn and adapt ahead of the curve. Kind of like Wayne, the hockey player attributing his success to not skating to the puck, but skating to where the puck was going. 
At the Terpstra family reunion church last Sunday Jan's Uncle Dave shared how God prepared him for something better on a mission trip. Others gave testimonies also.
Finally whether you want to think about it or not, since the beginning of time, no one has stuck around here on earth forever. What's next. Make a plan to honor God. Decide to leave a legacy that blesses, befriends, and cares about others. (Isn't it interesting that the toy industry makes a robot toy, Hatchimal, that wants to be a kid's friend and be cared for. And are the biggest craze since cabbage patch dolls which were also made to be a friend and cared for) And prepare for something better. Have a good week.


 
 

No comments: