Sunday, June 28, 2015

Enjoying June

Good morning. It's hard to believe the days are already getting shorter. Sometimes, especially in wet weather, a person gets to feeling behind. I decided I better start enjoying summer. It will soon be over. Monday I helped Jan watch grandkids while they went swimming.
 We have had a wet week with some farms to our south getting 7 to 9 inches of rain in a 24 hour period.
This is a bottom southwest of Lovilla. Most roads were covered for a while and some bridges are still closed because of all the water.
So what happens on the farm during a wet week? Well we started to build hay racks since our old ones were 30 years old.
 We ended up building or rebuilding three of them and may do a fourth if it keeps raining. It's handy to have storage on wheels. It's also nice to have good racks when folks ask if they can borrow them.
 We put in lot fence for Kurt on his farm near Leighton.
 Kurt is considering custom feeding buffalo and that takes a strong fence.
 We decided the seed treater could come down.
 We cleaned up in the machine shed and started putting things away.
 Sometimes during field work when you have a flat tire you just throw on a spare. So after cleaning up equipment this week we made sure the right tires went back on.
 We did have an accident this week and had to go to the ER. While we were walking in with Cody, John said to the nurse that we would like the painted room. The nurse smiled and said, you guys have been here before. I told the boys we were going to pray together and thank God everybody was going to be ok. John says, I already have Grandpa, three times.
 When I was 24 a neighbor and I bought an old scale from a rock quarry. I installed it at our farm in 1980 and used it for 30 years weighing and recording all our grain. Technology and size of equipment has made the scale obsolete over the last ten years.
 Since the scale has a lot of history and is old, and since it has been wet, the boys helped me take it all apart, restore it, and helped me put it in my office. I hope to put a Bible verse on the wall above it however most verses about weights and scales in Proverbs talk about dishonesty and crooks so I'm still looking.

 You know the saying, "one man's junk is another man's treasure." My friend Jerry went up north of Collins where they have to walk their fields for rock and brought me a load of big rock we hope to use for landscaping.
 Jan has been a trooper about making lunch for all of us since we are on the yard a lot with the wet weather. We are very much enjoying our new home.
 Slowing down, relaxing, and enjoying the moment is still a work in progress for me. There are many things that try and get in the way. Unfinished custom work, crops, our country going to pot, yes, even good things like church and other meetings. However there are so many good things happening. Summer, little people around, family working together, fun projects, and remember, God wins in the end and accomplishes His purposes.
 Malaki and I are going to hang out together today. I turned 59 Wednesday. Malaki has baptism this morning. Thanks for stopping by and enjoy your summer. It will soon be over.

No comments: