Sunday, May 10, 2015

The Process

Last week Sunday the weathermen were predicting a wet week. So when folks got up on Monday morning and it was dry many came to pick up their soybean seed.  
We loaded the planters and headed for the fields. I'd guess crop planting in our area is close to being completed.
The sprayers always stay busy. Some farmers spray after planting. Many no-till fields are sprayed with burn-down. That's when you start with spraying Roundup and then plant right into last years old crop residue.
Much of the crop nutrients nowadays are split applied meaning we fertilize some all through the growing season instead of all up front. We applied some extra nitrogen to our new seeding.
Being involved in agriculture and the process of raising a crop is a wonder. Emergence is when you check stand, spacing, plant health, and weed control. A corn plant responds to details. The secret to a bumper corn harvest is hoping and helping your corn fields never have a bad day.  A farmer plans, plants, and prays because it's all in God's hands.
Soybeans on the other hand are a very forgiving crop. They don't mind coming up in last years crop residue. They accommodate a variety of plant stands and bush out accordingly. Unlike corn they have the ability to wait on moisture. They sense when the days are getting shorter and mature according to sunlight rather than heat units. A soybean's shortcoming is they don't like wet feet. 
Kurt and Emily's house remodeling process west of Leighton is progressing. The new roof, siding, windows, porch, plumbing, and wiring have all been completed. They are currently working on dry wall. They hope to move sometime before harvest.
In the summer of 1960 the home Jan and I raised our family in and have lived in for 38 years was moved to our current farm yard. It was built out of used lumber around 1900 and has served us well.
Our new home is basically finished. The basement went in last May and building started the first of July. Many thanks to our contractor Daryl and his son-in-law Colton for doing a great job. It will just about feel like family missing without them around.
The process of building a home makes a person look back and remember. It also makes one look forward and wonder. Jan planned our house with no steps to the main floor and handicap accessible bathrooms. My first thought was she must think we're going to have a lot of old people visit. Then I realized she was thinking about us. The porch and rocking chair are ready for me. However I'm not quite ready for them. I am high mileage however and have aches and pains I didn't use to have. 
Thursday my parents celebrated their 61st wedding anniversary. Today is my Mom's birthday. Happy Mother's Day Mom. I couldn't have asked for better parents. 
I don't have a current picture of the gals in my life so I'll have to use an older one. We haven't gotten together for awhile so I'm looking forward to Mother's Day dinner at the cabin this noon. Jan has always been and continues to be an exceptional mother and wife. Happy Mother's Day Jan. Believe it or not I'm starting to look forward to moving.  
I saved this snap chat picture I was sent from Tulip Time of our three oldest grandsons. My daughter and daughter-in-laws are all wonderful mothers and wives. It's exciting and scary both to see grandkids growing up so fast.
Kristin brought 3 week old Malaki over on the Ranger in his car seat to help both his Grandpa's load seed beans. Like Jan, Becky, Suzanne, Stacy, Cassia, Emily, and now Kristin have all been amazing at nurturing and raising kids and at the same time let them experience life and allowing them to be part of the farm. The process of being a Mom and raising a family is the most important job anyone in this country has.

No comments: