Sunday, October 12, 2014

The Oops Of A Speeding Mind

Sometimes when my mind is in high gear I forget what I'm doing. For instance at Cargill the other day I pulled on the scale, got the green light, backed up over the pit, unloaded, pulled on the scale to weigh empty thinking about my day, got the green light to exit, not thinking what I was doing backed up again over the pit with an empty truck.
 Once in a great while I have hurried off the yard to go accomplish something all the while thinking about something else and then for a moment wonder where I was headed.
 Laying in bed dead tired at night with just a few hours to sleep and ones mind won't shut off is a bummer. I'm working really hard at not arriving late. I've been known to get lost in my own little part of the state trying to find a shortcut.
 I want to share a story with you this morning that I enjoyed reading. It reminded me of what happens when you try and fit 5 gallon in a 2 gallon bucket. It did NOT happen to me however it's easier to tell in the first person narrative. Bear with me if you have already heard it.
 Recently I was asked by a funeral director to play my bagpipes at a graveside service for a homeless man. He had no family or friends, so the service was to be at a pauper's site in the back country.
 As I was not familiar with that area, I got lost and being a typical man, did not stop for directions. 
 I finally arrived an hour late and saw the funeral guy had evidently gone and the hearse was nowhere in sight. There were only the diggers and crew left and they were eating lunch. I felt badly and apologized to the men for being late.
 I went to the side of the grave and looked down The vault lid was already in place. I didn't know what else to do so I started to play.
 The workers put down their lunch and began to gather around. I played out my heart and soul for this man with no family and friends. I played like I've never played before for this homeless man.
 As I played the workers began to weep. They wept, I wept, we all wept together. When I finished, I packed up my bagpipes and started for my car. Though my head was hung low, my heart was full.
 As I opened the door to my car, I heard one of the workers say, "I never seen anything like that before, and I've been putting in septic tanks for over twenty years."
 Apparently I'm still lost.                         Have a good week.

No comments: