Sunday, May 14, 2017

Full Service Or Self Service

We live in a self service world today. We pump our own gas. We check ourselves out at the counter. We load our own purchases at the big stores. We can even shop on-line on our own. Jan's mower ran out of diesel the other day. I helped her fill it up.
 Using several semi loads of diesel fuel a year farming we often get offered a price savings if we would set up for semi tanker deliveries. However that would mean a one drop location. We would then have to self serve ourselves to all our outlying locations. With large tractors holding 400 gallon of fuel it would be a fulltime job for someone just delivering fuel. Brent does a great job of keeping us filled up and delivers to us just about every day during field work time.
 Dr. Gary says we all have an emotional tank that needs to be filled. It can be filled by others with acts of service, quality time, affirmation and encouragement, gifts, and physical touch.
Do you know what fills your loved ones tank? Are the tanks of those close to you staying full or running on empty? Are you a full service or self service household?
 When I hear stories about the old days I'm not sure our grandpas even knew our grandmas had a tank. Back then it was a sign of weakness to show emotion or share your heart. Some folks still feel that way today. Building walls and fences hinders relationships, comes across as unreal, and can make a person lonely. That's not how we were created.
Boy did we ever need fences yesterday. Kurt and Emily woke up to their cattle gate being wide open and all the cattle were scoping the neighborhood and checking crops. Thanks Kasey with a K for helping out with your horse.
You know planting season is about over when we break down and stack seed boxes and organize empty pallets.
 With wet weather during mid week it was time to service and grease the sprayers. They have a big season ahead of them yet. It will soon be time to add the dry spreader to the job schedule. We are just a few days away from putting on the skinny tires and starting to spray rowed corn.
Last Sunday evening the Gospel Singers sang about Amazing Grace in our church. I love listening to and singing gospel music. It was fun to catch up with friends. I sang in this men's chorus from 1972 till 1992.
We said good bye to our interim pastor for a spell. Pastor Paul and Ellen are going to spend their summer in Michigan with family. They are looking forward to a new grandchild next week. About a year ago we got to know each other. Eight months ago they came and became our full service pastor. Have a great summer Pastor and Ellen. 
I got new tires on my pickup this week. Mitchell mentioned his wife heard about the girls losing their blankets in the fire so she made them some new ones. Thank you Lindsey. Friends help friends keep their tank full.
I stopped to level some rock for Pablo. Lifehouse church has purchased a new location. I'm excited for them and their future there. Pastor Steve, Pablo, Paula, and others had a work day at their newly purchased building.
Happy Mothers Day Mom. Yea. Mom got to come home from assisted living yesterday after two hip surgeries. My mother was a selfless person filling every other person's tank she came in contact with. As a kid at home I never remember anyone other than her being the first one up in the morning. She raised six kids including a handicap son. Our home was always full of foster children. She took in elderly relation and cared for them until their death. By the way I would like to express my sympathy to my handicap brother's foster family in Rock Valley years ago. Jim passed away this past week. Praying for you Frieda.  
Here are 6 Moms I love dearly. They got together one evening to support and help Cassia after the fire. For those of you new to our visits these good looking gals are our daughter and daughter-in-laws. Happy Mothers Day.
These gals are very supporting spouses. They help fill their husbands tanks. They are also all great Mom's raising their kids in loving homes and allowing their children to grow up outside with real life experiences.
Then there is Jan. What can I say other than she doesn't like her picture taken so I will just have to show her handiwork. God gave me a special wife and mother to our kids.
Jan's hobby is preparing food and she is really good at it. That's one of the ways she fills other's tanks.
 Her work and her love is our yard, flowers, trees, and plants. She has eased up a little on gardening. Jan is very good at allowing me to do what I love in farming and supporting me when my tank gets low. I thrive on work stress. I struggle once in a while with people stress.
Jan is continuing to use her talents in helping out with grandkids. Not many folks can handle as many kids as she has on Mondays. Happy Mothers Day Jan. I love you.
Don't be a self service household. Remember to think of ways and take the time to serve the folks you love and others as well. I'm late posting this morning. Have a good week.
 

+

No comments: