Saturday, January 7, 2017

Old And New

I grew up liking red tractors. As a kid I remember the excitement when my Dad told me he had traded for a newer or bigger model. My first tractor was an IH 856. There were few cabs back then and mine was no exception. When Jan and I got married I knew a rented 180 acres wasn't going to be enough to provide for my new bride. So I purchased $150 set of duals and went to town to the local Farm Service to ask for custom work. 43 years later I still own my first tractor and custom work is still a very important part of our families business.
Today things are much different. Tractors have increased 4-5 times in size. What used to take weeks now takes hours. There is no comparison on comfort and the cabs are now safer for the kids and grandkids to help. Is it all for the better? That could be answered both ways. One thing however is for sure. You either take change by the hand or it will take you by the throat.
We helped Kurt this week tear down, burn, and clean up an old machine shed. Larger equipment has made some smaller buildings obsolete. About all that fits in these small sheds is junk that we are not quite ready to throw away. Kurt's brothers are helping him get ready to pour concrete in a larger building that he will be able to use for a shop.
When my father-in-law was farming he used to do a lot of tiling for himself and others. A farm was considered well tiled if the mud holes were taken care of. He and my mother-in-law would use an old Vermeer tiling machine. I remember my father-in-law putting the 300 foot rolls up on the tile carrier of the machine. My mother-in- law would cut off the twine holding the rolls together. The large mains were clay and were laid by hand. Yes, I'm sure a few of you remember digging in tile by hand. I can't imagine.
Earlier last week before it got cold again the grandkids were helping tile. Today tile is dug in as a pattern every 30 or 40 feet with a tile plow. A tile plow is a knife that puts in the tile and horsepower. Grade is determined by GPS satellite. Tile rolls are now 3000 feet rather than 300. Hooking up smaller, older tile is not necessary because the new tile is close enough together.
The guys have been working on some of the older stuff this past week. Sometimes machinery that's a few years old is simpler and easier to work on.
Boards and councils including churches often have term limits on folks serving.  I think there is wisdom in doing that. It shares the work load. It also brings a different set of ideas to the table. Below the new set of elders and deacons are being prayed for by the ones retiring.
Jan and I were asked to be last minute fill ins on a trip to warmer weather. We accepted the invitation on short notice and have been making many new friends as well as meeting some old ones. God created us to have relationships, with our spouse, with friends, old and new, and with Him. Have a good week.

No comments: