Sunday, September 4, 2016

Finishing And Starting Seasons

Fifty years ago I considered Labor Day a big deal. It was the day Grandpa and Grandma, Uncles and Aunts, and all my cousins got together for our annual family reunion. It was food, conversation, and that traditional softball game where the kids were included and got to play with the adults. How time flies. I'm now the Grandpa.
Remember Mondays? Well Jan is down to taking care of these three little guys. All the rest of their siblings and cousins are in school on Mondays as another summer vacation comes to a close.
Are all your summer projects completed? Well this project isn't finished however folks can at least get to our front door now without falling on wet plywood sidewalks. This is probably the only sidewalk I'm aware of with footings 8 foot deep. This side of our home has lots of fill material and we didn't want the front walk to settle. Thanks Ron and crew for your help.
Yesterday Malaki hung out with Grandpa and Grandma. Since most the kids and help had plans the day reminded me of a generation ago.
BJ and Cassia, Karl and Kristin, and myself went to the Farm Progress Show on Wednesday. 
This tractor was at the show and looks a little futuristic. It's a prototype of a driverless tractor. I've seen a lot of changes during my lifetime however I'm not sure if this is reality or not. Forty years ago I started without a cab but I never dreamed of a tractor without a seat or steering wheel.
Well one of the first fall jobs on the list is to spray all our grain bins for bugs. 
Kurt and Emily's landlords are having a farm equipment sale this coming Tuesday. So I drove over the combine so Kurt could pick some corn to make room for parking. Jackson is following his Dad to the combine excited about the upcoming harvest season. 
I've experienced the start of harvest season at Jackson's age, at his Dad's age, and now as a Grandpa and I still get excited about it. Five short months ago we put those little seeds in the ground trusting God to provide the proper amount of water and sunshine. I don't think you can truly be a farmer without acknowledging that their is a Creator and a plan for growing things. If Someone is in charge of growing things how much more wouldn't that Someone be in charge of us, His image bearers. God put us here with a plan and a purpose. Just like an earthly father, He doesn't mind when we ask for help. And just like an earthly father, He appreciates it when we remember to say thank you. Harvest is a good time to do that.
We are in the process of tuning up for the harvest season. That means calibrating the technology, setting the combines, making sure the scales are accurate on the grain carts, starting the dryers, and getting the semis inspected. 
We have harvested around 60 acres of corn. The moisture is running around 24-26% on 105 day corn planted the first week of April. Kernel size is large and test weight is good. There is just a hint of disease on the kernels due to a wet July and August. Stalk strength is marginal in a few places. Ground conditions are great. I hope we stay on the dryer side during harvest. And finally yield is about as good as we've seen it.
As crops come out Mike is not far behind with the dozer building terraces.
He was challenged by his football team to wear a tie to work on game day. Who knows, he may start a new trend, shorts, sleeveless, and a tie.
We went to PCHS first home game. It was a beautiful evening. The team had a nice win over Albia.
There are seasons in church as well. Most are starting up their fall schedules.
As Natalie and Zachery shell corn I think what will they and their cousins remember about growing up? What did I remember? I told you at the start of our visit, being included and valued by adults. Don't forget to value folks today. And don't settle for good when with God's help things can be great.

1 comment:

Heidi Sutton said...

Those are some super cute kids. I never saw tractors like that. They look huge! I want one of those, and a golf cart. I know that's random, but I want a golf cart to drive around my property. Tractors are very useful machines, and they make life a lot easier especially when living on a farm. 60 acres of corn is a lot!