Sunday, June 26, 2016

Who's Your Helper

 Good Sunday morning to you. Early last week we did kind of a mini crop tour checking out roots, soil compaction, plant health, and weed control. The number one thing the crop needs right now is a good drink.
I'm pretty sure it might be Kurt and Emily's anniversary today. If you see them wish them a happy anniversary.
Karl was spraying close to home this week so Kristin and Malaki rode along and kept him company.
 On Monday Atalie, Natalie, and Allison helped Grandma out by picking cherries.
We baled a little second cutting hay. BJ, Matt, and Isaiah are loading on the hay rack. Nephew Isaiah and Emily have three horses. One nice thing about being 60 is folks just kind of expect you'll drive tractor. 
Last weeks picture of the old Christian Grade School caused me to think back in time. Which teachers do I remember really helping me out and having an influence on me? It was the ones that believed I had potential and told me so. The road below is old Hwy 92 going down Bellfountain Hill just before the Des Moines River. 
When I was about ten years old I came back to Christian School after being in public school for a little while. Mrs. Branderhorst had to really get me to buckle down and take school seriously in 5th grade since I coasted most of 4th grade. 
Mrs. Slings was my 6th grade teacher and I liked her because she would talk to me about farming. My dad had a Farmall 806 and so did her husband. One day she asked me to stay in just a minute during noon hour. She told me God had given me lots of potential and even though I loved helping on the farm I needed to try harder to apply myself to school work. She and her husband farmed just a mile from where Kurt and Emily currently live west of Leighton.
I was the new kid in class as a junior in high school at PCHS. My freshman and sophomore years were at New Sharon where I went home most days at 1pm since I had scheduled 6th period PE, and 7th, and 8th periods as study hall. I was a hired man for Walter, and elderly neighbor. Once again I had to relearn study habits. My English teacher was Mr. Blankespoor and even though I didn't admit it  I enjoyed writing. Mr. Blankespoor and I became friends (and still are) because he treated me like an adult even though I was just 16 years old. One day he asked me if he could keep some of my assignments for examples for future classes.
I took time to go to a auction yesterday. An elderly couple was retiring after their son died at 58 years old just two months ago.
A number of Amish folks were there and drove there with their horse and wagons where they parked in the shade near the continuous flow dryer system.
I've been needing to add to and upgrade our folding chairs that we use for our customer appreciation supper. I was able to get an additional 100 chairs bought at this auction.
After going for a ride last evening checking crops Jan and I found a Georges Pizza in Sigourney.
The rains in southern Iowa have been spotty and places are hurting for moisture. Here where we live we haven't had a rain equaling an inch all year.
The crop has been getting along on soil moisture however the cracks in the ground are showing the tank is about empty.
The crop on the better soils still look good. As we have experienced in previous dry years God is in charge, cares about us, and has full ability to help us in any situation.
 Loren served on the council at Pella II with our son, Kurt, and others. About 10 days ago  their council had prayed over Loren because he hadn't been feeling well for some unknown reason. Yesterday Loren passed away from a very fast growing form of cancer. Loren always had a smile for everyone and knew without a doubt that the Lord was his helper. Please pray for Marilyn and the family.
Those of us who are older have experienced God's help and care during our times of worry, fear, concern, hurt, and loss. We have two responsibilities. First we are to talk to God, leaning on Him when we have questions, and remembering to thank Him when we get answers. And second, we are to talk to others, passing along those stories of God's faithfulness to our next generations and to our neighbors.
Hebrews 13: 6 says,  "The Lord is my helper, so I do not have anything to be afraid of".







No comments: