Sunday, October 4, 2015

Paying Attention

When I was a kid my brother Dan and I would have to feed cattle. My job was to climb the silo and throw out the silage. Are any of you old enough to remember you had to fork it out evenly in layers? My brother was to scoop full the 16 foot cattle bunks below walking in the bunks. However Dan would get to singing or even preaching to the cattle instead of his job. The cattle would always watch and pay attention.
Do you give little people or big people your full attention when they want to talk with you? Do you really listen or are you just waiting to talk and tell them your ideas and opinions? Do you make yourself available to folks who want to visit? 
Since all the big grandkids are in school these days Jan is down to the young ones on Mondays. Allison and Natali are playing house with their youngest cousin Malaki covering him up with a blanket and talking to him. As you can see Malaki is giving them his full attention. He has little choice.
Thanks Kristin and Malaki for helping chisel this past week. You look good in green even though you grew up in red.
I have another oops story for you this week. When our kids were young they were always getting stuck in this one mudhole that was always wet. I would get on them for working too close. Well I have this one spot of cattails that we have tiled out and it's supposed to be dry. Right? Well, not quite. I thought if I just rip it up maybe it will drain better.
Our next biggest tractor was in Altoona for a repair so Mark took me there and I drove it the 70 miles home. Nope. Alex couldn't get me out with that tractor so it just sat there in the cattails for several days.
One day my friend called and said he noticed I had a tractor stuck along the 4-lane and asked if I would like his hired man to stop by on their way by and pull me out. Thanks Jason for paying attention and taking the time to help.
One thing I like about Iowa is we have "with-it gals". We were hooking up the bean head getting ready to cut beans on Ed and Mary's farm in Al and Verna's driveway. About that time a lady drove up. Since we didn't want to make her wait we motioned for her just to drive on through between the beanhead and the combine. She never missed a beat and just drove right through, no worries.
On Thursday and Friday our Christian School teachers went to Dordt for a conference so since their was no school we had plenty of graincart drivers. Thanks Ethan, John, Cody, and Gideon for all your help. Also thanks to Ezra, Elliott, and Zach for helping Grandpa and driving his Ranger.
We have three farms that the train goes right through on it's way to Cargill and back. Although the track is kind of a pain in the butt I enjoy the company.
I really like it when the help pays attention to what they are driving and helps keep it in good shape. Little things like putting in a new CB radio, mudflaps, or cleaning out the cab, greasing, and checking the oil. Thanks Pablo, Alex, Brad, and Matt for caring. Thanks to Linda and Paula for getting supplies on your own when we are busy in the field.
Cellphones and I-pads have changed the way we pay attention. In many ways they are good at staying in touch including this visit every week. Texts and emails are the way we communicate these days and doesn't instantly impose on folks as they can read it when they have time. However it seems like you are visiting folks without a face and I think sometimes a voice and a face to face are more appropriate.
Do you communicate with God and does He communicate back to you? You have to take the time to pay attention and listen. That's what my early mornings are for. Sometimes we like shoot God a text as we ask for something on the go. However a face to face in a quiet place sometimes even on our knees is what paying attention is all about and makes things happen.
I am reminding myself this time of year we need to pay attention to those we love and care about. It's not just our jobs that get in the way but also other good things like helping others with their problem solving and meetings and being involved in organizations.
It's a beautiful time of year. Have a good week, love and care about those around you, talk to God, and pay attention.

1 comment:

Heidi Sutton said...

It is so easy in this age of technology to constantly be racing around and only communicating through texts and emails. Stillwaters Iowa is a wonderful homstead that allows family and friends to get back to basics and enjoy each other and thank God for all of the wonderful blessings he has provided. Build memories not an expansive email log.

Heidi Sutton @ Ag Source Magazine