Sunday, September 13, 2015

What Is Required

Teamwork is a requirement in any operation or organization. I'm often asked how everyone knows what their responsibilities are.
Most of us appreciate structure where we know what's expected and exactly what our job is. However we also like flexibility where we can do our own thing, not get in a rut, and contribute to the whole cause. Some of us are organizers. Some are problem solvers. Too much structure leads to rigidness. Too much flexibility leads to no focus or goal.
God made us all to feel needed and appreciated. That doesn't just include the combine operators and truck drivers. It also includes the meal makers, clothes washers, babysitters, and house cleaners.
Harvest is in full swing at our house. Corn moisture on early April plantings are ranging from 19% to 26% on 105-110 maturity hybrids. Farm yields are ranging from 180 bpa to 230 bpa. Wet corn test weights are ranging from 52# to 56#. Stalk quality will be an issue by the end of fall. 
90% of our crop is sold ahead of harvest. The corn goes straight to Eddyville. Beans are sold to either Des Moines or Burlington. This type of marketing forces us to make and manage our decisions, have a handle on cash flow, and helps us make our commitments in a timely manner.
Yes, when you sell ahead of time the market might go up and you won't get the high. However when we used to store and wait and then sell when we either needed the money, needed the bin, or because it smelled wasn't working.
Cargill has strict requirements on corn quality. Kutos to DeKalb for high quality grain. Kutos to our combine operators for setting the combines not damage the kernels and no cob pieces.
This is the only pic I have of grandkids helping so I'll use it to thank them for driving graincart, mowing field edges, or just riding along and keeping us company.
Wednesday evening before Stacy went to Gems she brought out a hot meal to the field. It was delicious and appreciated. Thanks for joining us Byron.
Yesterday afternoon we all went and did our own thing for the week since Cargill closed so I thought I would move a wagon over my auger pit with my Polaris Ranger. Well I was getting a run for it going up the bin driveway. As I turned toward the pit I looked back and saw I no longer had a wagon behind me. Lesson learned. Be sure to use a long enough hitch pin.
Due to a good forecast we mowed some hay yesterday.
I enjoy PCHS having a marching band this year at their home football games.
We remembered 9/11 this past Friday. In 2001 Becky, as a freshman at Dordt College, called me and told me about the attack as I was preparing bins for harvest. We Americans are going to have to find some strong leadership if we are going to continue as a free country.
I have been listening, attending, and reading on what a strong growing church looks like. What does God want and expect? I think He wants his children growing in their faith. I thinks He wants full surrender to Him. And I think He wants us 100% sold out to others and their needs.
God is really big and we are really little and nothing happens without prayer, thanking Him for the blessings He has loaned to us and asking Him for His will and direction.
"And what does the Lord require of you? Act justly, show mercy, and walk humbly with your God." Micah 6:8

1 comment:

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.